Friday, September 7, 2012

186 - Simple shapes = simple characters


Just a fun simple sketch. During tonight's recording of The Next Element Podcast I talked about starting some character design work for a character in a short story I wrote which Colin is turning into a script for a 4/5 page comic. The character is a little bad ass barbarian girl named Camilla the Hun. I think she is going to be a blast to work with but what I don't have yet is the design of the character. So in comes Creating Characters with Personality by Tom Bancroft.

So after we were done with the podcast I started flipping through the book and after a couple of minutes had the very simple urge to sketch something. One of the best feelings in the world for me is having that feeling of wanting, almost needing to draw something and being able to feed that need. Lucky for me I was sitting in front of my computer with a nice Intous tablet and a book. One of the first sections in the book goes over simple shapes and has the great line that simple shapes make simple characters, hence the sketches above. Simple shapes make simple characters, more varied shapes create more varied characters. Sketching in Sketchbook Pro is getting to be more fun every time I use it.

No comments: